ANTONIO CANOVAAntonio Canova was born in Possagno (Treviso), about 80 km from Venice, November 1, 1757: only four years old he lost his father, Peter; his mother, Angela Zardo, remarried shortly after Francesco Sartori and moved to the nearby town of Crespano, but Antonio was in Possagno, with his grandfather Pasino Canova, stonemason and sculptor of discrete local fame. These events marked the sensitivity of Antonio Canova for a lifetime.
From an early age, he showed a natural inclination to sculpture: small works performed with clay Possagno; it is said that, at the age of six or seven years, during a dinner of Venetian nobles, in a villa in Asolo, has performed a lion of butter with such skill that all the guests were amazed them: the landlord, Senator John Falier, he sensed the artistic ability of Antonio Canova and wanted to start the study and professional training.
In 1768, Canova began working in the studio of the sculpture of Torretti, in Pagnano d’Asolo, not far from Possagno: that environment was for the little Antonio (which everyone called “Tonin”) a real art school. It was the Torretti to introduce it in the Venetian world, full of many artistic and cultural ferment. In Venice, Canova attended school and studied design at the Academy of nude drawing inspiration from plaster casts of the Gallery of Philip Farsetti.
After leaving the study of Torretti, started a shop on his own: he made the first works that made him famous in Venice and the Veneto: Orpheus and Eurydice (1776), Daedalus and Icarus (1779).