Called “scholarly” and also “fat”, being the cradle of the university culture and a rich gastronomic tradition, the city was built in 189 BC the axis of the Via Emilia at the foot of the last Apennines between the rivers Rhine and Savena.
Real “step road,” he recorded the moment of maximum splendor in the eleventh century with the emergence of new commercial classes and in 1088 with the founding of the university, the oldest in Italy.
In the thirteenth century, as a free municipality tied to the empire, was endowed with new walls, towers (Garisenda and donkeys are the only remaining of the original hundred), and porches that now characterize the city center with a development of 38 km .
A city on a human scale, with a warm, old, point of departure for exploring the world at the turn of the Apennines and the Po rich artistic and gastronomic values.