CARLO SCARPACarlo Scarpa was born in Venice in 1906, is formed in his hometown, attending artists and intellectuals who met at the Biennale and at the Academy of Fine Arts, from which he graduated in 1926 professor of architectural design.
From 1933 to 1947 he was artistic consultant Venini glass industry; his personal and creative interpretation of the traditional Murano technique must be some of the most original and fascinating window into the history of this art. It is in this environment that matures his interest in the East, the plastic arts and applied with particular attention in the first period to the Viennese Secession (Hoffmann, Loos, Wagner) and then the organic architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright.
In 1926 he started teaching at the University Institute of Architecture in Venice, which will continue as professor of composition from 1964 to 1976 and as Director from 1972 to 1974 Through teaching university, shoe contributes to the formation of more generation of architects, which transmits the love and knowledge of the history, materials and craftsmanship.
Since 1948, with the staging of the retrospective exhibition of Paul Klee, began a long collaboration with the Venice Biennale. In the more than sixty art shows and museums made in his career, the architect has established itself as an acknowledged master of the art of the art show. Among the most significant examples of accommodations museological there are the Gallerie dell’Accademia in Venice (1945-1959), the National Gallery of Palazzo Abatellis in Palermo in Sicily (1953-1954), the first rooms and the Cabinet of Drawings and Prints Gallery Uffizi in Florence (1953-1956), the Correr Museum in Venice (1957-1960), the Canova Plaster Cast Gallery in Possagno (1955-1957), the Museum of Castelvecchio in Verona (1958-1974), the Fondazione Querini Stampalia in Venice (1961-1963).
The award Olivetti, which receives Scarpa in 1956, seeks to address his involvement in this project area. For the preparation of the exhibition on Frank Lloyd Wright, at the XII Triennale di Milano (1960), was awarded the Grand Prize of the International Jury and Rome, in 1962, the national award-IN ARCH for the restoration and the construction of Palazzo Abatellis. In 1967 he obtained the prize of the Presidency of the Republic for the architecture. He was appointed a member of the British Royal Institute of Design (1970), the Olympic Academy of Vicenza (1973), the Foundation Pierre Chareau of Paris (1975), the Accademia di San Luca in Rome (1976).
Among the numerous projects related to housing, urban planning and landscape in historical centers, have to remember at least Veritti villa in Udine (1955-1961), the Olivetti showroom in Venice (1957-1958), house Gallo (1962-1963 ) and the condo in contra ‘Quarter (1974-1979) in Vicenza, Brion tomb in San Vito d’Altivole (1969-1978), Palace villa in Monselice (1971-1978), the headquarters of the Banca Popolare di Verona (1973- 1978), villa Ottolenghi in Bardolino (1974-1978).
Some unrealized projects, such as those for the Teatro Carlo Felice in Genoa (1963-1976) and the Municipal Theatre of Vicenza (1968-1969), the arrangement of the archaeological area of Piazza Duomo in Feltre (1973-1978), the Museum national Messina (1974-1976) and the Musée Picasso in Paris (1976), formed during the debate on methods of intervention in historic centers.
Scarpa presents his work at personal exhibitions in Venice in 1968, and Vicenza in 1974 he exhibited at the Overseas Museum of Modern Art in New York in 1966, in London and Paris in 1974, in Madrid in 1978 Since the late sixty accentuates its international dimension, always cultivated on the level of intellectual choices. While the cultural and political climate made Italian tends to marginalize abroad is increasingly known and appreciated. In North America he made several trips to deepen the knowledge of the works of Wright’s designs and composition of different exhibitions. Memorable those in Section Poetry in the Italian Pavilion of the World Expo in Montreal (1967) and the exhibition of drawings by Erich Mendelsohn in Berkeley and San Francisco in 1969, the first trip to Japan in 1969, followed by that of 1978, during the which dies in a minor accident. Despite his extraordinary work, only after his death receive the conferral of an honorary degree in architecture.