Il castello di BarlettaThe building has a square shape with the corners, features towers-lance-shaped bastions. The building is the result of a superposition of buildings and demolitions that continued over the centuries made by the various rulers. The original nucleus dates back to the eleventh century, is Norman, as evidenced by the higher tower incorporated in the southern area of the building. During the Crusades became habitual shelter for riders departing and arriving from the Holy Land. Evident is the legacy of Frederick II of Swabia, testified on the south side by lancet windows that present the imperial eagle carved in the lunettes, a recurring motif Swabian iconography. In 1228 the emperor held here in view of starting the diet for the sixth crusade.

The castle as we see it has been realized starting from 1532, at the behest of the Spanish king Charles V. In 1867 it was purchased by the city of Barletta, later becoming a weapons depot and a prison. On 24 May 1914, the building was targeted by the Austrian battleship Helgoland, which was opposed by the destroyer Turbine avoiding further damage to the castle. During the Second World War, was stationed inside a military garrison that in September 1943 the German army was opposed fiercely that he intended to occupy the city.
In 1973 it was decided to submit the castle, which was in a considerable state of disrepair, with a long restoration, returning it to its former glory in 1988. During 2001 work has been carried redevelopment, which ended December 7, 2002, the Gardens of the Castle, between the beating hearts of city life and real link between the east coast and the historic center. It currently houses the municipal library, the municipal museum and art gallery and lapidarium. Among the most important pieces preserved here you are the Sarcophagus of the Apostles, the first Christian witness in Barletta, [84] and a bust of Frederick II of the thirteenth century.

Giardini 'Fratelli Cervi' The gardens of the Castle
Entitled to Fratelli Cervi, extend around the castle and frame the fortress and the cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore. Following the restoration, which ended in 2002 and have seen the redevelopment of the gardens, transformed into a park with picnic areas, the entire area was returned to Barlettana citizenship, which has made it a focal point of the historic center.
Villa Bonelli
The Villa Bonelli was initially the residence of noble families and very prestigious, now only a memory of Barletta, but has been enhanced by the gardens that surround it. Renovated recently also offer a playground for the children but also a serene and comfortable for the citizens of that area.
Arriving in the town of Barletta by train, the tourists will face this beautiful villa (also called “Villa of the station”), full of plants and flowers, which emerge here and statues testify to the great history of this town.