IL CASTELLO DI OSSANA E IL PARCO DELLA PACEIn Val di Sole castles are rare (Caldés, Croviana, Ossana, COGOLO): this comes from the great spirit of independence of the population and the careful supervision of the Prince-Bishops of Trent (1004-1802) on this border of their territorial domains.
In all probability, the castle of St. Michael Ossana, which are clearly visible remains, dating back yet at the time of the Lombards (VI-VIII centuries); but the first written records are from 1191. Various noble families succeeded in the castle: first it was the bishop’s servants, then, at recurring intervals, accounts of Gorizia-Tyrol. In the fifteenth century it passed to the investiture of the nearby Valcamonica de Federici; Heydorf and then to the Bertelli. Straddling between 800 and 900 was co-owner of the manor Bertha von Suttner, Nobel Prize for Peace in 1905 and the nymph Egeria of Alfred Nobel. The location of the castle can not be visited inside, is formidable: a rock almost inaccessible from three sides forms the basis for the construction recently established. The square tower is the point of visual reference to all the high Val di Sole
In the town of Ossana, medieval church is the church of San Vigilio (info c / o tel. 751 203 0463) dedicated to the bishop that the fourth and fifth centuries brought Christianity in the Trentino. The facade is decorated with a Renaissance porch; within both the high altar pulpit are works of Ramus (which with Lenner and Bezzi formed schools of wooden sculpture of great importance to the valleys of walnut, the baroque altarpieces, now the pride of many churches were carved and gold in their shops).
A fraction of Ossana still bears the name of the Forges: much of the iron ore mined here in Val di Sole was melted and processed by Lombard craftsmen, who also influenced the speech of the local population.
Just to the east of the country, at the foot of a church in 1700, it widens the former cemetery of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, which gave honorable burial to more than 1,400 soldiers perished on the front of the Tonale during the First World War. That plateau, on which stands the monument to Kaiserschütze (Othmar Schrott-Vorst, 1917), has now become Peace Park, a sign of brotherhood of peoples.