Il castello Orsini-OdescalchiThe Orsini-Odescalchi Castle in Bracciano (Rome) is a building of the fifteenth century, consisting of three walls of the outer walls; pentagonal in shape, has five towers, one for each vertex of the outer fortification.
The castle was built by Braccio da Montone (family arms) then switched to Orsini militant arm of the troops, at the request of Pope Martin V (1418). It is currently owned by the Odescalchi family, who own the Orsini took over the lordship of Bracciano in the late seventeenth century.
The castle is now a place of entertainment and also houses a museum, opened in 1952 by Ilvio Odescalchi.
The expansion of the castle began in 1470 (with the participation of the famous Leonardo de ‘Medici) on the orders of Napoleon Orsini, which is then completed by his son Gentil Virginio Orsini in 1485. Throughout its history, the castle underwent many changes from the initial draft Francesco di Giorgio Martini.
Pope Alexander VI in 1496 comes to seize the castle, inspired by a deep resentment towards the Orsini. In these years back the first decorations, among the most famous woman of the medieval cycle illustrating the life of the court of the late Middle Ages and the fresco of Antoniozzo Romano that reproduces the triumph of Gentil Virginio Orsini important page of this painter the fifteenth century.
After the quarrel with the pope recover possession of the Orsini castle continuing the beautification and expansion of the castle. At the end of the sixteenth century James Duke, a pupil of Michelangelo, made a series of speeches at the lavish wedding of Isabella de ‘Medici and Paolo Giordano Orsini. On that occasion the brothers Taddeo and Federico Zuccari were called to decorate some of the rooms, including one in 1481 that was home to Pope Sixtus IV della Rovere fleeing from the plague that was raging in Rome. The Zuccari, two of the most important artists of the late sixteenth century, the frescoes realized with the horoscope of the couple and the emblems of the two great houses.
In 1696 the Orsini Odescalchi entered the old family home in Como, whose prestige town increased considerably when one of its members ascended the papal throne under the name of Innocent XI.