LA CASA DI PETRARCA AD ARQUA'In 1369 Francesco Petrarca (Arezzo 1304-Arquà 1374), tired of the continuous wandering and now old and sick, he had to readjust a house in the village of euganeo Arquà and chose it as the refuge of the last days. The building, which dates back to the thirteenth century, still retains most of its original structures fourteenth century, despite numerous restorations and alterations and the addition of the sixteenth-century loggia. Also in the sixteenth century were frescoed rooms with a cycle inspired by the most famous works of Petrarch, Canzoniere and Africa
Here he spent the last years of peace in life, surrounded by old and new friends and family. Here he died in the night between 18 and July 19, 1374, bowing his head on his beloved books. The house was donated to perhaps Petrarch by Francesco I da Carrara, lord of Padua.
Petrarch decided to renovate the existing building and adapting it to their needs personally following the works. Used it as a residence for himself and his family the part of the building at a lower level, reserving the rustic, located higher up, the servants. On the front there was the garden, the orchard at the back: the care of the plants Petrarch devoted a lot of attention, though with little success.
Inside the house, the poet had to change the layout of the rooms: the room to the west was divided into two in order to obtain a small study, the room became the central hall of representation and liaison, illuminated by a five-light window on the side of the garden and closed by a chimney on the side of the orchard. It was rebuilt in the Gothic style windows were added two balconies and three fireplaces.
At the death of the poet succeeded several owners, but the house did not undergo important changes: already beginning to take shape the myth of the poet’s house.
At the half of the 500 then-owner Paul Valdezocco made to paint the frescoes that can still be admired, inspired by the works of Petrarch and did add the external loggia which still leads to the first floor. After numerous other transfer of ownership, which, however, always respected the memory of the poet, the house came to the Cardinal Pietro Silvestri, who in 1875 bequeathed to the City of Padua.
The restoration, which began in 1906 and ended in 1985 after the various stages, have eliminated the unnecessary additions from the building, but did not restore the old entrance. Inside are exposed some editions of the writings of the poet and some testimonials of the admiration it has been paid over the centuries. In this small house-museum you will find the study, the library, and among the few objects familiar to the poet, his chair and the legendary cat stuffed.