VAL D'OSSOLAThe first mention of the name Ossola is the geographer Ptolemy lived in the second century, who appoints a Oskela (or Oskella) Lepontíōn, Oscella of Leponzi, in reference to the people of Leponzi who lived there.
In a geographical anonymous seventh-century (the so-called Geographer of Ravenna) the name appears as “Oxila” or “Oxilia” and Joannes Georgius Graevius in Thesaurus Antiquitatum et Historiarum Italiae: Ligurum et Insubrum, seu Genuensium et Mediolanensium published in 1704, identifies the Val d’Ossola as municipium Ocellum (Domodossola and is called Ocella).