PAVIA_2One of the oldest universities in Lombard was born here, in this city stretches along the right bank of the Ticino, still dominated by medieval towers. For centuries the ancient Ticinum, a city founded by the Ligurians and Celts, occupied an ideal location for the control of trade between the plains and major rivers. Here, during the Roman period, were joined together two consular roads, and throughout the Middle Ages came, along the Po and the Ticino on boats, spices and fabrics imported by Venetian merchants; hence the goods could then get to Milan, passing alongside the beautiful Renaissance monastery which is the Certosa di Pavia (the construction of the Naviglio Pavese, begun in 1359 by Galeazzo II Visconti, was completed only in 1819). Today, although the commercial vocation of the city has been replaced by other interests, Pavia has retained its historic center in the heart of the traces of a splendid past medieval churches, cobbled streets, the facades of the houses in a warm terracotta color.
Today, although the commercial vocation of the city has been replaced by other interests, Pavia has retained its historic center in the heart of the traces of a splendid past medieval churches, cobbled streets, the facades of the houses in a warm terracotta color.